When the ‘Road Works Ahead’ sign is displayed, take extra care and look for additional signs providing more specific instructions. Observe all signs – they are there for your safety and the safety of road workers.
- You MUST NOT exceed any temporary maximum speed limit.
- Keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front (see Rule 126).
- Use your mirrors and get into the correct lane for your vehicle in good time and as signs direct.
- Do not switch lanes to overtake queuing traffic.
- Take extra care near cyclists and motorcyclists as they are vulnerable to skidding on grit, mud or other debris at road works.
- Where lanes are restricted due to road works, merge in turn (see Rule 134).
- Do not drive through an area marked off by traffic cones.
- Watch out for vehicles entering or leaving the works area. Where vehicles are travelling in the road and are displaying amber warning lights, leave extra space and expect them to slow or turn into a works area.
- Concentrate on the road ahead, not the road works.
- Bear in mind that the road ahead may be obstructed by the works or by slow-moving or stationary traffic.
Law RTRA sect 16