Before setting off. You MUST ensure that
- you have a valid licence and insurance to drive the vehicle you intend to use (see Annex 3)
- your vehicle is legal and roadworthy (see Annexes 3 and 6 for important vehicle maintenance and safety checks).
You SHOULD ensure that
- you have planned your route and allowed sufficient time for breaks and possible delays
- you have sufficient fuel or charge for your journey, especially if it includes motorway driving
- you know where all the controls are and how to use them
- clothing and footwear do not prevent you using the controls in the correct manner
- your mirrors and seat are adjusted correctly to ensure comfort, full control and maximum vision
- head restraints are properly adjusted to reduce the risk of neck and spine injuries in the event of a collision.
It is recommended for emergency use that
- you have a mobile telephone containing emergency contacts (e.g. breakdown assistance)
- you have high-visibility clothing.